I ordered both new shifters, but only the rear one works. The matching front one is designed for a dérailleur with a longer arm, so the index is too large for the one I have. I had to put the old one back on, and it wasn’t that easy. However, the combination works okay and I’m not likely to change anything else for a while, unless something breaks.
The overall effect has made it just a little more low-geared, but there’s no problems. I’ll be heading out to Draper tomorrow to see what progress on the bikeway they have made.
Update: By snooping in the dealer’s manual online for those shifters, I found there was an adjusting screw that reduced the lever stroke, which also affected the indexing. I was able to make the left-hand shifter work with the front dérailleur and now we are in business. Thank You, Lord!